Tuesday, February 2, 2010

We're Expecting!

So now that I've made it through my first trimester, the word is out! And it feels so good not to be keeping such a huge secret any more. We had our first ultrasound around 8 weeks. It mostly just looked like a little fingerprint smudge, but we did get to see the heartbeat, which was really amazing.Jake and I went to our second Dr's appointment last week. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen! Our Dr could not find the heartbeat, but she said not to worry since it was still early. But just to be safe, she decided to do another ultrasound. We could hardly believe what we saw! It's really grown a lot since last time! It's now 5cm from head to butt - about 2". You can see one arm by its chin and one up by its head.
But she said everything was looking great and we could see the heartbeat flickering in the screen. Then she said "Let's see if we can wake it up." She was trying to get it to move for us to see so she started poking at my belly. I thought it would just be a couple of slow twitches but when she started poking at it, holy cow! We might as well have been at a disco! The arms started moving up and down and the whole body was wiggling. I think we have ourselves a little wiggle worm! I can't feel any of it now, but I have a feeling I won't be finding it so cute if it's still moving that much at a bigger size and nailing me in the ribs. But until then, it was really amazing to see. Jake and I just stared, open mouthed, smiling at the screen. Amazing. And she moved up our due date to August 9th, so mark your calendar.

Now my first thought was that it slightly resembled an alien, but I like my friend's interpretation better. She thinks it looks like Spider-Man! I have to say, I can see the resemblance, so maybe we have a future super hero on our hands.
On my end, she said I'm doing just fine. I've gained only 2 pounds, which she said is right on track. I asked why I was feeling so much bigger if I've only gained two. And the fact that I can no longer button any of my pants...ugh. She said the baby is just starting to show above my pelvis, but everything else that is showing is not necessarily weight gain, but just all my "guts" that were hidden below, now have no where else to go. Lovely thought.

My nausea has been getting a little better, too. It usually goes away in the morning as soon as I eat and stays away most of the day. But evenings are another story. It seems to be around 5-6:00 that I start feeling really sick. Jake's been helping out a lot with dinner. Campbell's chicken noodle soup seems to always taste good when I'm not feeling well so he'll have that ready for me when I get home. And he has pretty much taken over Cosmo's nightly routine since I've been going to bed around 8 most night. Hopefully just a little bit longer and I'll be out of the sickness phase.

I've only had a few cravings. Orange juice is the biggest one. I've been going though a pitcher about every 1-2 days. It's a little crazy. And plain old Campbell's chicken noodle soup, Poptarts, Eggos and french toast seem to be my comfort foods. Very healthy diet, right? I haven't had a Poptart for years so I don't know why I'm eating them now. But they seem to do the trick on the bad mornings.

So that's it for now on the baby front. Now it's time to start clearing space for a nursery and getting the house in order. And now that I'm starting to show just the tiniest bit (maybe it's all in my head...) I'll start posting belly pictures, too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...